Thursday, September 15, 2011

Bananas Foster Fritters

 
 
 
You will never hear me complain about a spike of alcohol in my sweets. I adore hints of rum, small batch whiskey, or brandy laced into my dessert recipe or freshly whipped cream. The winner for me in today's recipe was the rum dipping sauce. The Banana Foster Fritters are amazing on their own and so full of flavor but I cannot imagine this recipe without the silky sauce to finish them off with.

Taking from my learning experience with the Buttermilk Farmstand Doughnuts, I knew I had to be a bit more patient in testing the oil temp and cooking time with my fritters. A flashback to my previous doughnut frying experience had me on recall that the temp the book suggested was too high and my doughnuts fried on the outside and were still doughy on the inside. Being 'new' I had fired off too many of the donuts out of the gate and didn't have much dough left to work with in 'getting it right'.

On this occasion after getting the oil up to suggested temp of 375, I tested one lonely fritter and although it tasted good, it was a bit overcooked on the outside and not quite finished on the inside. Similar to last time. Ultimately I kept the temp between 300 and 325 and baby sat my little fritters so they cooked about 8 minutes overall and finished with a nice color; not too dark on the outside and cooked (without being overly dry-a tad moist) on the inside.

Now- the rum dipping sauce (yum)...easy to make, and the 'fritter dunk' = Pure Deliciousness
Overall this was an easy to follow recipe with basic ingredients and the assembly process, simple. I give the Bananas Foster Fritters an A+ in the flavor category.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

RECIPE

Dipping Sauce
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon banana liqueur (or pure vanilla extract)
2 tablespoons dark rum
Pinch cinnamon (optional)
 
Fritter Dough
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more if needed
3 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground all spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 medium ripe bananas
1 tablespoon dark rum
1 teaspoon banana liqueur or pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Vegetable oil for frying
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar

INSTRUCTIONS

Rum Dipping Sauce
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add the cream and bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the liqueur, rum, and cinnamon, if using. Set aside until serving time. (The sauce can be made ahead. Allow it to cool, then cover it tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate. Rewarm it over low heat in a saucepan or microwave it on short 15 second blasts before serving.)

Fritter Dough
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, all-spice, and 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon. Use your hands to run the chunks of sugar into the flour mixture and whisk again (it is okay to have a few chunky sugar pieces remaining).

In another large bowl, mash the bananas with your hands or a heavy spoon and stir in the rum, liqueur, and butter.

Use a rubber spatula to fold the dry ingredients into the banana mixture. The mix should look wet, but but should still hold its shape when scooped into a small ball. If the dough is too thin, keep folding in the flour 1 tablespoon at a time until it stiffens up. Refrigerate the dough while the frying oil heats and you prepare the sugar topping.

Pour enough oil into a deep skillet to fill 3/4 inch to 1 inch deep. Slowly heat the oil over medium-high heat until it registers 375 degrees F on a deep-frying thermometer.

While the oil heats, in a small bowl, whisk together the confectioner's sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside.

Fry the Fritters
Line a plate with a double layer of paper towels and set it near your work area.

Using a small spatula and a small spoon, two spoons, or an ice cream scoop with a release mechanism, drop heaping spoonfuls of dough into the oil. Do not crowd the skillet. Cook until the fritters have browned on one side, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, turn them over and continue to cook for another 2 minutes, or until browned. Do not overcook or burn the fritters. Use the slotted spoon to transfer the fritters to the prepared plate and continue frying dough until finished. 

Place the fritters on a serving plate and sift the cinnamon sugar over them. Serve immediately with rum dipping sauce.


Enjoy!



 

7 comments:

  1. WOW Your fritters came out perfectly! They look beautiful! I had that same problem when I fried mine at 375 so next time I will take your suggestion and keep the temp. a bit lower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Love, love, love the photo with the fritter cut open and drunk in the sauce! Looks perfect. Frying is a pain in the butt, I must agree.

    What's wrong with your dishes? Photos look great. I really like the cloth in the background. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your fritters look amazing! I had some issues this time with the oil. I probably should have lowered by temperature some. I got the doughy mushy inside! :-( I love the close-up pic where you can see the inside of the fritter. It looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always seem to end up with a kitchen full of dirty dishes no matter what I am making. I didn't get to make this yet, so thanks for the tips on making them smaller!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your photos! The winner for me was the sauce too... i'll definitely make just the sauce and pour it over everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for baking along with me this week! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Frying is quite a chore, though. I did it for the very first time with the doughnuts for this group, and these fritters are only my second go at it. The smell in the house for a day after isn't too lovely!
    I wish I'd lowered my oil temp like you did. I had lowered it to about 350 and it STILL browned on the outside and stayed unfinished on the inside. Yours on the inside look justttttt right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos of the fritters! I had to turn the oil temp down as well........great job!!

    ReplyDelete